Chocolate crinkles, chocolate snowflakes…these cookies have multiple names. Whatever you call them, they are one of my favorite cookies. Of course, I say that about all the cookies, especially my Chocolate Chip Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cookies, and Ginger Cookies! But these little delights of chocolate…yum.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar more as needed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar more as needed
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and eggs. Add vanilla to eggs.
- Combine chopped bittersweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl with butter and microwave at 50% for about 2 minutes or until melted and combined. Stir to mix well.
- Whisk chocolate into egg mixture. Fold in flour. At this point your dough will look more like brownie batter. Place it in the refrigerator and chill for 2-3 hours or even overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in another shallow bowl.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Gently roll ball in the granulated sugar to coat, then place it in the powdered sugar and gently roll to coat well. Place sugar-coated dough balls on cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. I usually get 11 cookies on a cookie sheet.
- Bake about 12 minutes. Cookies will flatten some and the crackles will be shiny and almost appear undercooked.
- Allow to cool in pan on a rack for 3 minutes then use spatula to remove cookies to a rack to cool completely.