Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting—moist, spicy banana cake with tangy cream cheese frosting!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This banana cake. Oh, my goodness, this cake. It's a little like banana bread, but not bread. More spicy, with cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves.
This banana cake is super moist and graced with tangy cream cheese icing. A lot of tangy cream cheese icing. You might want to cut back a little...or not. And you probably should wait until the cake cools before frosting it. I didn't and my frosting melted a bit.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting makes a great snack cake for after school or a special occasion dessert. You could even make it in smaller loaf versions for gifts, just adjust the baking time slightly.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups mashed bananas, use very ripe bananas, about 3
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and cardamom in a medium bowl, stirring with fork or whisk until well blended. Beat butter at medium speed with stand mixer about 3 minutes until creamy. Add sugars, beating for another 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until just blended. Spread batter into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until top is lightly golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Set on rack to cool completely. Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled cake.
- Beat butter in bowl of stand mixture at medium speed until creamy. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Slowly add 4 cups powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium-high and beat 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Cake will keep at room temperature or in refrigerator for about 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 628Saturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 1gSugar: 77gProtein: 5g