Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting—moist, spicy banana cake with tangy cream cheese frosting!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This banana cake. Oh, my goodness, this cake. It's a little like banana bread, but not bread. More spicy, with cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves.
This banana cake is super moist and graced with tangy cream cheese icing. A lot of tangy cream cheese icing. You might want to cut back a little...or not. And you probably should wait until the cake cools before frosting it. I didn't and my frosting melted a bit.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting makes a great snack cake for after school or a special occasion dessert. You could even make it in smaller loaf versions for gifts, just adjust the baking time slightly.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frostingsave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups mashed bananas, use very ripe bananas, about 3
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and cardamom in a medium bowl, stirring with fork or whisk until well blended. Beat butter at medium speed with stand mixer about 3 minutes until creamy. Add sugars, beating for another 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until just blended. Spread batter into prepared dish.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until top is lightly golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Set on rack to cool completely. Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled cake.
- Beat butter in bowl of stand mixture at medium speed until creamy. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Slowly add 4 cups powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to medium-high and beat 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.