Are y'all enjoying this glorious spring season so far? We sure are but boy have there been some changes around here! Not going to share it all just yet for fear of jinxing, but suffice it to say I've been pretty busy and not doing much cooking.
Basil Pesto Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
If you're busy and don't have much time to cook, this Basil Pesto Roasted Chicken and Vegetables recipe is perfect for you—you can use store-bought basil pesto to save time, everything goes on one pan, and it's a complete meal ready in about an hour and twenty minutes.
I used a whole chicken and sort of spatchcocked it, as in I simply cut the backbone in half and spread out the chicken flat but didn't remove the backbone. But you could use chicken pieces or even boneless skinless breasts, just adjust your cooking time accordingly.
And you can mix up the vegetables as well. I used different things that we had picked up at the local farmers market: potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and threw in some grocery store bell peppers and onions. The chicken is so good cooked this way because more of the surface can get crispy in the oven and it cooks a little faster so there is less danger of ending up with dry chicken. This Basil Pesto Roasted Chicken and Vegetables recipe will be one of our spring/summer favorites!
- 1 whole organic chicken, I like the organic because they are smaller, not mutant ninja chickens
- 3 cups assorted vegetables: new potatoes, carrots, onion, pepper, zucchini
- 1/2-3/4 cup basil pesto
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut vegetables into 1 1/2-inch pieces. If you are using zucchini and peppers you will need to separate them from potatoes and carrots since you'll have slightly different cooking times.
- Cut through chicken backbone or remove backbone and spread chicken out flat (this should break the breast bone.)
- Cover baking sheet with foil or parchment. Place longer-cooking vegetables (potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.) on baking sheet and mix with 2 tablespoons basil pesto.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If using store-bought pesto, go easy on the salt as the pesto is usually salty. Spread the vegetables out to the sides of the baking sheet and place chicken skin side down in the middle of the sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil on chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place pan in oven and bake for twenty minutes. Remove pan, flip chicken over, and spread 1/2 cup basil pesto over chicken.
- Add zucchini, onion, asparagus or other vegetables to pan. Drizzle a little basil pesto over vegetables. Place pan back in oven and cook an additional 20-30 minutes or until chicken is done.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 582Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 408mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g