Cake mix cookies are beloved by parents everywhere because they are such easy cookies to make! These chocolate cake mix cookies are made with white chocolate chips and a box of chocolate cake mix. In just minutes, you’ll have these delicious chocolate cake mix cookies ready for someone you love.
While my first love is always going to be traditional chocolate chip cookies, I also love cookie recipes that are a little easier, and that’s where cake mix recipes come in. You can make cookies out of almost any flavor boxed cake mix, with simple ingredients as your add-ins: semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, peanut butter cups, cream cheese, nuts, or candies.
These are cake-mix cookies, which means you don’t need to drag out the flour or sugar. You just dump the cake mix in a large bowl and add an egg, water, vanilla, and a stick of melted butter.
Some people are partial to a certain brand of cake mix, and for this recipe, I do prefer Pillsbury Devil’s Food Cake Mix. But usually you can use any brand from Betty Crocker, to Duncan Hines, to Pillsbury, or even a store brand. Cake mixes are a great way to make an easy dessert without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. You can even make your own cake mix if you’d rather have homemade.Pin this now to save it for later
These chocolate cake mix cookies are best eaten the day they are made, although you can store them in an airtight container for a couple of days. These are chewy cookies and will remain somewhat soft. If you’re a chocolate lover, you could use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips instead of white chocolate chips.
What you’ll need
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- large bowl
- cooling rack
- airtight container
- box of devil’s food cake mix
- unsalted butter, room temperature
- white chocolate chips
How to make chocolate cake mix cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, dump the cake mix and add egg, water, and melted butter. Use a hand mixer to blend well, and then stir in chocolate chips.
- This cake mix cookie dough will be stiff and thick, so make sure all the dry cake mix has been incorporated into the dough.
- Scoop cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. I like to use an ice cream scoop or a medium cookie scoop to measure the dough, depending on whether I want to make a few giant cookies or a lot of smaller cookies. Note: I make them pretty big so I only use two cookie sheets and make a little less than two dozen cookies.
- Cool cookies completely on a rack.
And please follow us on social media:
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 Pillsbury Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- In large bowl, dump cake mix and add egg, water, and melted butter. Use hand mixer to blend well, and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Dough will be stiff and thick, so make sure all the dry cake mix has been incorporated into the dough.
- Scoop dough by heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-13 minutes.
UPDATE NOTES: This post was originally published December 9, 2010, and on February 12, 2023, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.