This easy Strawberry Buttercream recipe is made with seedless strawberry jam and butter. Ready in ten minutes, this sweet frosting is delicious and creamy with fantastic fresh strawberry flavor, but without all the work of using fresh strawberries. The simple ingredients mean you can whip up this homemade strawberry buttercream frosting anytime.
You’ll love how versatile this strawberry frosting recipe is. It works great with piping on strawberry cupcakes and spreading on layer cakes. You can even add milk and thin it out enough to use as a dip for fruit. So if you’re looking for a delicious, quick and easy Strawberry Buttercream recipe, you’ve come to the right place!
This strawberry buttercream frosting recipe is a traditional buttercream frosting recipe that requires no cooking and can be made with a hand mixer or a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
You can easily make this frosting ahead of time and store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to use it. There is no waiting for strawberry season for this creamy strawberry buttercream, so get ready to make your favorite cakes all year.
Be sure and try our other delicious frosting recipes, like Chocolate Buttercream and Blackberry Buttercream.
Ingredients and tools needed
All set for some frosting magic? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter – use slightly softened butter.
- Powdered sugar – no need to sift.
- Milk – whole milk is best in this recipe.
- Strawberry preserves (seedless) – get the best quality you can find.
- Large mixing bowl – a kitchen workhorse!
- Electric mixer or stand mixer – I use these all the time.
Tips and variations
- You can replace the strawberry preserves with a cup of strawberry puree if you prefer. Just keep in mind you may need to adjust the sugar depending on the sweetness of your strawberries, and this will introduce more liquid into your buttercream, causing a thinner, less stable buttercream.
- Looking for a recipe for vegan strawberry buttercream? Try this one!
To check out all my kitchen and travel favorites, visit my Amazon Shop.
How to make strawberry buttercream
Follow these simple steps to make the perfect strawberry buttercream recipe.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until it’s smooth using a handheld mixer or stand mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, gradually incorporate the confectioner’s sugar into the butter.
- Add in the strawberry preserves and mix until well combined.
- If your buttercream feels too thick, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until you reach the desired creamy consistency.
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Absolutely! Freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Then, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before use.
Many sources say buttercream frosting does not need to be refrigerated immediately. I usually leave cakes or cupcakes on the counter for 3-4 days if I’ve used a traditional buttercream frosting like this one.
How to use strawberry buttercream
We love this delicious buttercream on a vanilla cake, yellow cake, white cake, or even a chocolate cake or chocolate cupcakes. How about a chocolate strawberry cake? You’ll have enough frosting for at least 12 cupcakes, a sheet cake, or a layer cake.
Join Southern Food and Fun Community group
and Southern Potluck group!
And please follow us on social media:
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup strawberry preserves, seedless
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric hand mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, and continue mixing at medium speed. Add the strawberry preserves, and beat until well mixed.
- If the buttercream is too thick and stiff, add the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smoother.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with a large star tip. Pipe the buttercream onto cooled cupcakes or cake layers, or spread with a cake spreader.