If you've ever been to a church potluck in the South then you've probably seen this chicken pie. It's not chicken pot pie. Chicken pot pie is full of vegetables and has sherry and cream and lots of good stuff. This pie is different...it's simple, quick, easy, and classic comfort food.
This pie is ubiquitous and that's largely because it's so easy to put together. You can do it on Sunday morning before church if you need something for family dinner that day. You can even put it together the night before and bake it the next morning. I use a rotisserie chicken but you can cook and debone a chicken if you prefer. Most old recipes for this chicken pie call for hard-boiled eggs which seems a little strange to me so sometimes I add them and sometimes I don't.
Pair your chicken pie with a green salad or some green beans or butterbeans and you're good to go. Enjoy!
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, optional, peeled and sliced
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Spread chicken pieces over bottom of casserole. Add sliced hard-boiled egg over the chicken.
- Combine cream of celery soup, broth, thyme, salt and pepper in a saucepan and heat to a boil then pour over chicken.
- Combine butter, milk, and flour and pour over chicken mixture. Do not stir.
- Bake at 350 for one hour until top is golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Saturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 627mgCarbohydrates: 16gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g