Chicken pie with no vegetables, just shredded chicken and an easy buttery crust. This is an old-fashioned chicken pie recipe that's easy to make and tastes great. It's also good for potluck dinner or transporting to someone in need.
1 HR 15 MINUTES
If you've ever been to a church potluck in the South then you've probably seen this chicken pie. It's not chicken pot pie. My Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is full of vegetables, sherry, cream, and a delicious, flaky crust.
This chicken pie is different...it's simple, quick, easy, and classic comfort food.
You'll need these ingredients
👋 For ingredient amounts and instructions, use the Jump to Recipe button above or scroll down!
- cooked chicken
- hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- cream of celery or chicken soup
- chicken broth
- self-rising flour
- buttermilk or whole milk
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
How to make chicken pie
This recipe is so easy that you can make it for a weeknight dinner. It will take about 10 minutes to put together if you use a rotisserie chicken, longer if you cook your own.
- Spray baking dish and spread chopped chicken over the bottom of the dish. Add sliced, hard-boiled eggs if using.
- Combine cream of celery or chicken soup with broth and seasonings and bring to a boil, then pour over the chicken.
- Stir together melted butter, flour, and milk and pour over the top without stirring.
- Bake at 350° for one hour.
Why we love this chicken pie recipe
- easy enough for weeknight
- kids love it because there are no vegetables
- make ahead and freezer friendly
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Baking sheet - I used to make this old-fashioned meatloaf in a loaf pan, but several years ago I switched to a heavy-duty baking sheet. The meatloaf is less greasy and the sides get a little crispy, which we love.
- Large mixing bowl - I always use my big stainless mixing bowl when making meatloaf so I have plenty of room to get everything well blended.
To check out all my kitchen and travel favorites, visit my Amazon Shop.
If you've tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
Chicken Piesave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- 3-4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1 can cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Spread chicken pieces over bottom of casserole. Add sliced hard-boiled egg over the chicken if using.
- Combine cream of celery or chicken soup, broth, thyme, salt and pepper in a saucepan and heat to a boil then pour over chicken.
- Combine melted butter, milk, and flour and pour over chicken mixture. Do not stir.
- Bake at 350 for one hour until top is golden brown.
- Use cream of celery or cream of chicken soup.
- Use whole milk or buttermilk.
UPDATE NOTES: This post was originally published October 23, 2014, and on March 18, 2022, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.