Easy Kale Salad with Mango Chutney Dressing is simple, elegant, nutritious, and delicious! Filled with assorted dried fruit and toasted sunflower seeds, this salad is a pretty addition to any meal.
Oh my goodness, let me tell you about this easy kale salad that goes great with my Jalapeno Turkey Burgers. It is amazing. And EASY. It’s fruity, crunchy, light, and absolutely delicious. And it’s so nutritious! How can you beat that?!
With a mango chutney dressing, fresh kale, dried fruit, and toasted sunflower seeds, this sweet kale salad covers every taste experience from sweet to savory to crispy. It is really a great way to eat kale because it cuts the bitterness completely.
You may also like…
Cherry Tomato Salad – fresh cherry tomatoes drizzled with lemon vinaigrette – delicious and easy!
Helpful Tools and Ingredients
- Ninja blender – I’ve never found a need for those super expensive blenders. I’ve had a Ninja for years and it does everything I need just perfectly!
- large wooden salad bowl – I love a shallower salad bowl like this one that is just gorgeous! I feel like you can toss the salad better if you have more surface area.
- sesame oil
- sunflower oil
- mango chutney
- lemon juice
- dried fruit mixture
- sunflower seeds
Tip: How to Prepare Kale for Salad
Kale is notoriously tough so the best way to soften it up when making this easy kale salad is to massage it!
To massage kale, simply add a little olive oil and salt and then get in there with your hands and, well, massage it! Rub it together until the kale is soft. Here’s a great tutorial if you need more instructions on How to Massage Kale.
How to Make Kale Salad
If you’ve been wanting to jump on the healthy kale bandwagon and just weren’t sure where to start, this easy kale salad recipe is for you. Since you’re using already chopped dried fruit, the only real work is in making the dressing and massaging the kale!
Step 1. Make the dressing: puree the oils, garlic, mango chutney, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until smooth and creamy.
Step 2. Massage the kale until soft and then add the dried fruit and sesame seeds.
Step 3. Toss the kale salad with the mango chutney dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Can You Make the Easy Kale Salad Ahead?
Absolutely! You can put the kale and the fruit and sesame seeds together, cover the bowl, and place in the fridge for a couple of days until you need it.
The mango dressing can be made several days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Want to make your own mango chutney? Try this Super Simple Mango Chutney recipe.
And please follow us on social media:
Easy Kale Salad
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ cup olive oil or sunflower oil
- ¼ cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bunches kale chopped and stemmed (about 16 cups)
- 2 cups mixed chopped dried fruit (apricots, dates, raisins, cranberries)
- 3 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- In a blender, puree the oils, chutney, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale, dried fruit, and sunflower seeds with the dressing.
Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Update Notes: This Easy Kale Salad post was originally published April 11, 2014, and on October 4, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
Adapted from Rachael Ray magazine.