This refreshing Super Green Smoothie is made with lots of fresh spinach, a navel orange, and either mango or pineapple, along with flax seed and chia. It’s nutritious and the perfect pick-me-up or morning energy boost!
If you’re into smoothies you probably have a favorite recipe or two. We usually have a berry smoothie in the summer time when berries are bursting with flavor, but in the winter we like a smoothie with a mix of fresh and frozen ingredients.
Most mornings we have this Super Green Smoothie for breakfast or sometimes as an afternoon pick-me-up. I love the vibrant green color from the spinach.
You may also like…
Easy Crustless Quiche – another great breakfast idea that’s good for you!
Green Smoothie Ingredients
Filled with lots of healthy spinach, fresh oranges, and frozen mango or pineapple, this Super Green Smoothie not only tastes great but it’s also nutritious and it’s so easy to make!
I add a quarter cup of ground flax-seed for extra fiber, and the spinach and orange give you a nice kick of Vitamin C and A.
You could certainly substitute kale for the spinach if you want a bit more of a nutrition blast and you could add almond or soy milk instead of the water. I’m not a milk drinker, whether it’s cow milk or any other type of milk so I never put dairy in my smoothies.
And although I love kale, I prefer spinach in smoothies. But those are great substitutions for people who like kale or milk.
Of course, nutritionists might say this smoothie has too much sugar from the fruit, but hey, I’m not a nutritionist. I like the balance of sweetness to the spinach, which makes it drinkable and enjoyable.
I’m not going to drink something that tastes icky no matter how good for me it might be!
This Super Green Smoothie tastes great and is full of vitamins and fiber and has a good bit of protein so it works for me.
Helpful Tools for the Super Green Smoothie
- Ninja blender – I know it’s trendy to get those super-expensive blenders, but I’ve never seen the need. I’ve used this Ninja that I bought at Costco for years and it works just fine for everything I need.
- NutriBullet – this little system is great if you just want it for smoothies. We used one of these for years until we had to choose just one due to space limitations.
- Vitamix – if you just feel like you need to have something fancy, then try this one or this one from Blendtec.
How to Make a Green Smoothie
The reason I love this Super Green Smoothie is that it’s so easy—no chopping required! Who wants to be chopping vegetables early in the morning?
Step 1. Place the spinach in your blender, then the flax and chia seeds, the frozen fruit, fresh orange, ICE, then water.
Cook’s Tip: You can also add half an avocado for extra creaminess!
Step 2. Blend! Then drink!
If you’ve tried this Super Green Smoothie recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
Super Green Smoothie
- 4-5 cups tightly packed spinach leaves
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 2 cups frozen mango
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 ½ cups cold water or liquid of your choice
- Place spinach in blender, topped with flax seed, frozen fruit, fresh orange, and ice. Add water or juice to blend. Blend, pulsing a bit at first until ingredients are mixed, then on high for smoothness.
Update Notes: This post was originally published February 17, 2015, and on November 4, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.