This oven baked omelet is perfect for two for breakfast or a light supper. Just mix up some eggs and cheese and whatever vegetables you like and bake!
Let me state for the record, unequivocally, I love Ina Garten. I love to watch her shows because she has such a calm, soothing manner as she creates delicious dishes in her beautiful kitchen. All of her recipes seem doable for a home cook and she makes entertaining seem a cinch.
I also love her cookbooks and I own almost all of them. They are some of my most used cookbooks. The recipes are well-tested and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. It’s obvious that she cares about her readers and wants to make sure you can cook what she has cooked.
Ina shares a lot of two-person recipes that she makes for herself and her husband. One of my favorites for when it’s just David and me for dinner is this oven baked omelet. Just chop and saute a few different vegetables, cook some bacon and add it all to a skillet with eggs and cheese. Twenty minutes later, you have a perfect meal for two.
How to Make an Oven Baked Omelet
Start with about four slices of bacon and cook until crispy.
Then saute chopped peppers and onions. You can use any combination of peppers: green, red, yellow, jalapeno, whatever makes you happy. I used red because that’s what I had. You could also add other vegetables, such as mushrooms or asparagus or spinach.
Next, whisk your eggs with a little half-and-half or milk.
You will add cheese and chopped scallions to the eggs. You want to dice a portion of the cheese to add to the eggs, and grate a small portion to sprinkle on the top.
Add the eggs and cheese to the skillet with the vegetables and then stir in the bacon.
That’s it! Now just pop the skillet into the oven and bake for about twenty minutes. You’ll want to take it out when the eggs are almost set and sprinkle the grated cheese on the top, then cook for another minute or two. Serve with fresh fruit and you have a perfect simple supper.
*This recipe was adapted from Ina Garten’s Omelet for Two in the Barefoot Contessa at Home cookbook. I highly recommend this cookbook and use it all the time.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 6 large eggs
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
- 4 chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup diced extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- You will need an 8-inch oven-proof skillet for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the bacon into one-inch pieces and saute the pieces until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper-towel lined plate.
- Add the butter to the pan and saute the onion and peppers on medium to medium-low until tender. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the diced Cheddar and the scallions.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet with the onions and peppers, then stir in the bacon. Place skillet in oven and bake for about 20 minutes until eggs are almost set in the center.
- Remove skillet and sprinkle on the grated cheese, then cook for another minute or two.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 507 Saturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 631mg Sodium: 1555mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 24g