Shamrock Shake is a creamy, minty milkshake that is perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day parties, or any fun summer celebrations. You can make this copycat McDonald’s shake boozy or keep it non-alcoholic. Either way, your guests will love it!
This copycat Shamrock Shake recipe tastes like the beloved McDonald’s version that’s only out for a limited time each year. Now you can have this gorgeous and minty Shamrock Shake anytime you want. Best of all, it’s easy to make and takes just minutes!
For another great ice cream recipe, check out my easy Banana Split Dessert.
You’ll need these ingredients and tools
- vanilla ice cream (I like Haagen-Dazs ® best!)
- whole milk
- mint extract (not peppermint or you’ll have a candy cane shake!)
- green food coloring
- Creme de Menthe (optional – add for a boozy Shamrock Shake)
- Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur (optional – add for a boozy Shamrock Shake)
- fresh mint leaves
How to make Shamrock shake
We love this Shamrock Shake recipe any time of the year, but of course especially around St. Patrick’s Day. While you can certainly hop over to McDonald’s for the original version, making milkshakes at home is a fun activity that kids can participate in.
- Place the ice cream, milk, mint and vanilla extracts, and green food coloring (and liquor if using) in a blender and pulse on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses, serve, and enjoy!
- Stick with whole milk or even cream rather than low-fat.
- Try to find mint extract. Lots of copycat recipes call for peppermint extract because it’s easier to find but it won’t taste the same.
- Use more milk if you want a thinner milkshake (or more booze!).
- For a dairy-free version of Shamrock Shake, try this Ultimate Vegan Shamrock Shake.
Why we love this Shamrock Shake recipe
- it’s so easy and delicious
- this Shamrock Shake can easily be adjusted to a Boozy Shamrock Shake for adults
- it’s pretty and you could adjust the colors to make some red and then layer it for a Christmas treat
To check out all my kitchen and travel favorites, visit my Amazon Shop.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
Shamrock Shake Copycat Recipe
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 oz Crème de menthe (optional)
- 2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream (optional)
- Green food coloring – to your desired color
- Whipped cream (garnish)
- Maraschino cherries (garnish)
- Fresh mint leaves (garnish)
- Place the ice cream, milk, mint and vanilla extracts, green food coloring, and liquors (if using) in a blender and pulse on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with whipped cream and cherry, and serve.