Sometimes a simple dish can transport you to another time and place, evoking memories of smells or tastes, and allowing your mind to wander and dream. The bright, tropical flavors of this shrimp and pineapple stir-fry bring to mind a warm, breezy island with a fresh dinner right on the beach, candles flickering in the wind, soft ukulele music whispering in the background.
Shrimp and Pineapple Stir-fry
I can't help you with ukulele music, but you can pretend you're on a tropical island with this simple, easy shrimp and pineapple stir-fry. You could have a picnic outside and turn on some music and lights and read a book with your kids about Hawaii or some other tropical location. Even dress the part and have everyone wear a grass skirt! Kids would love it.
Shrimp and Pineapple Stir-frysave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ large bell pepper, sliced
- 2 stalks bok choy, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4-5 stalks asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil and ½ tablespoon vegetable oil in large non-stick skillet on medium-high until shimmering hot.
- Add pineapple to skillet and stir-fry until lightly browned. Remove pineapple to a bowl. Add shrimp and garlic to skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove shrimp and garlic to the bowl with pineapple.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and heat until shimmering. Add bell pepper, bok choy, asparagus, carrots, and sugar snap peas to skillet. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pineapple and shrimp back to skillet. Add green onions. Add sauce.
- Stir to blend and cook about thirty seconds then remove all to bowl and serve over rice.