Isn’t springtime synonymous with picnics? It’s neither too cold nor too hot, the gnats are not out in full force, trees and flowers are filled with green buds and it feels as though we’ve been cooped up in the dreary dark of winter for years. Along about the middle to end of March I long to be outside soaking up rays of sunshine. Fortunately, here in Georgia, it’s usually warm enough to do just that.
We had a splendid day yesterday. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day and we spent most of it outside with Brian and Caroline and Callie the Beagle. We went to a small park right off the Etowah river and threw a frisbee for a while, then sat on a blanket and played Yahtzee. We had a nice lunch in town—because we actually didn’t plan ahead for a picnic—and just thoroughly enjoyed the day.
Aren’t those the best days? Impromptu times hanging out with your kids and making memories. Whether your children are grown, like mine, or still growing or just babies, remember that the best days and memories often stem from the simplest of moments. It doesn’t always take a lot of money, or birthday bouncy houses, or spectacular places like Disneyworld—usually all you need is time together. The rest will take care of itself.
This smoked salmon wrap is one of my go-to picnic foods. It’s super easy to assemble, keeps well for a while, and is a little more special than a ham sandwich, “not that there’s anything wrong with that.” (Tell me in the comments if you know what that line is from!).
- 2 lavash or other wraps
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 8 ounce package smoked salmon
- 1 roasted red pepper, I used jarred roasted red peppers, halved
- 1 cup baby lettuces divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop or slice the red pepper and divide evenly. Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each wrap. Place 4 ounces smoked salmon on cream cheese. Top salmon with 1/2 roasted red pepper.
- Top with 1/2 cup baby lettuces. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 1492mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 28g