Sugar Cookie Bars are super easy to make and perfect when you don’t have time to roll and cut cookies! These cookie bars have the best flavor—your family will devour them!
There’s something about rolling and cutting out cookies that evokes a nostalgic, childhood feeling of being in the kitchen with your grandma. Maybe it’s the smell of the buttery cookies baking, or the secret little pinches of dough that you sneak when no one’s looking.
Sugar Cookie Bars
Nostalgia is great until you’re crunched for time and you have to provide the entire class with a treat in less than 12 hours because your child told you at the last minute AGAIN—enter, Sugar Cookie Bars to save the day! With the same basic dough as my Sugar Cookie Recipe for Rolled Cookies, these Sugar Cookie Bars are the most flavorful and so easy to make that you won’t even mind having to do it at the last minute!
Tools for Sugar Cookie Bars
Ingredients for Sugar Cookie Bars
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Egg yolk
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Powdered sugar
- Cream or half-and-half (optional, just if you want more creamy)
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. You can use a glass baking dish for the sugar cookie bars if you don’t have a pan, but I prefer the pan to get the straight sides/corners.
In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter for about five minutes, then add sugars and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
Add egg, egg yolk, and the vanilla and almond extracts and beat until just blended.
Tip: Don’t skip the almond extract! It’s what gives these Sugar Cookie Bars the best flavor!
Turn mixer down to low and gradually add flour, salt, and baking powder, beating until just combined.
Spread sugar cookie bars dough in prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set.
Cool on a wire rack and then cut into squares. Then frost the Sugar Cookie Bars with buttercream icing.
You’ll love how easy these sugar cookie bars are, and your family will love how delicious they are! This is a great recipe for a party or a potluck dish since you can leave the sugar cookie bars in the pan until ready to serve, or you can remove and place on a platter. Total flexibility!
Sugar Cookie Bars
Sugar cookie bars topped with easy buttercream icing.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 whole large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half (optional, just if you want more creamy)
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter for about five minutes. Add sugar and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl frequently. Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla and almond extracts and beat until just blended.
- Turn mixer down to low and gradually add flour, salt, and baking powder, beating until just combined.
Spread dough in prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set. Cool on a wire rack and then spread cookies with buttercream icing.
- Beat butter in large bowl of stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until mixed. Add extract and pinch of salt and beat until blended. Add milk or cream if needed.
[custom-related-posts title=”Related Posts” order_by=”rand” order=”ASC” none_text=”None found”]