We had a large Christmas party last year—about 60 people for dinner—and this chicken dish is one of the things I served. I'll share more about the party and menu later, but right now I need to tell you about my new favorite chicken recipe. It comes together relatively quickly and is full of complex flavors, but not so complex that your kids won't like it. The red wine vinegar lends just enough tang, while the tomatoes, onion, and garlic add spice and the lightly breaded chicken brings balance. It's a great weeknight supper recipe.
Recipe slightly adapted from Chicken Braised with Red Wine Vinegar and Tomatoes, Fine Cooking.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs or mix
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup good-quality red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Put flour, salt and pepper in a 1-gallon zip top bag. Close and shake to mix then add chicken and shake to thoroughly coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of chicken to skillet and brown both sides. Remove to bowl.
- Add oil to skillet and brown the rest of the chicken. Remove to bowl. Add onion to skillet and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaf and cook 2-3 minutes. Add red wine vinegar and boil 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and return chicken to skillet, stirring gently to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Partially cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 146mg Sodium: 901mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 51g