This easy Mediterranean Fish recipe is a one-dish meal, baked in the oven, and ready in less than one hour. Flavored with tomatoes, onions, garlic, white wine, and Italian herbs, this is a perfect light and healthy meal!
I love this simple baked fish recipe. It’s easy and full of flavor, while still light and healthy.
Tomatoes, onions, garlic, white wine and Italian herbs…what’s not to like? You can use any fish: sole, flounder, cod or even salmon. I like it with cod, but any firm-fleshed fish will work.
This is really a great, easy dish with little chopping involved so you can put it together on a weeknight and get other things done while the sauce is simmering.
You’ll have dinner on the table in less than an hour!
Tools and Ingredients
- Oven-proof skillet – I love this one!
- Fish fillets
- Olive oil
- Onion, sliced
- Canned whole tomatoes
- Bay leaf
- Garlic, minced
- White wine
- Lemon juice
- Orange juice
- Grated orange peel
- Fennel seeds, crushed
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Mediterranean fish
Step 1. Saute onion in an oven-proof skillet.
Step 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir it all together well, then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Step 3. Arrange the fish fillets in the skillet, then spoon some sauce over the fillets. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove bay leaf and serve.
Cook’s Tip: You can also use a baking dish if you want a prettier presentation.
You might also like this Mediterranean Pan Seared Trout Recipe with Tzatziki from The Mediterranean Dish.
And please follow us on social media:
Mediterranean Baked Fish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 16- oz. can whole tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small jar capers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup reserved tomato juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp freshly grated orange peel
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. fish fillets, (sole, flounder, cod, sea bass or other fleshy fish)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in large, oven-proof skillet. Add onion and saute over medium-high about 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add remaining ingredients except fish. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Arrange fish fillets in skillet and spoon most of the sauce over fish. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until fish flakes easily with fork.
Update Notes: This post was originally published January 17, 2012, and on March 16, 2020, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.
Adapted from National Institutes of Health Stay Young at Heart Mediterranean Baked Fish.