A spicy, cheesy queso fundido with chorizo sausage, pimento cheese, queso cheese, and fresh salsa, great for game day and tailgating.
Y’all. Listen to me. You need to add this dip to your Superbowl menu because it is a cheesy, sausagey, spicy mix of WOW! and your friends and family will inhale it. I know, because I made it last weekend and that’s exactly what happened.
How to Make Pimento Cheese Queso Fundido
Just take pimento cheese, homemade is best but good quality store-bought will do, add some grated Mexican queso cheese, cooked chorizo sausage, and homemade Southern style salsa (or store-bought pico de gallo or salsa), melt the cheese in the oven and top it with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions.
Serve with chips. Or spoons. It’s that good.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 1 lb. fresh chorizo sausage
- 2 cups pimento cheese
- 1 cup grated queso cheese
- 2 cups Southern style salsa, or 2 cups pico de gallo or salsa
- Garnish, fresh cilantro, chopped tomato, chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 450. Remove casings from chorizo and crumble the sausage into a cast iron skillet. Cook 8-10 minutes or until browned, using a fork to break up the sausage. Remove sausage from skillet and place on paper-towel lined plate to drain. Pour off grease from skillet.
- Place sausage back in skillet, add pimento cheese, queso cheese, and salsa. Mix well. Place skillet in oven and heat 8-10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling. Remove and garnish with cilantro, tomatoes, and green onion. Serve immediately with heavy tortilla chips.
Make ahead: Cook the chorizo and make the pimento cheese and salsa the day before you need the dip.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 16 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 1063mg Carbohydrates: 9g Sugar: 6g Protein: 10g
Adapted from Cast-Iron Pimento Cheese Dip in Callie’ Biscuits and Southern Traditions.