Fresh salsa made with garden fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, Vidalia onions, and herbs. It’s a great sweet and savory appetizer!
If you’re lucky enough to live in the South, then you know we have an abundance of choices when it comes to fresh vegetables all throughout the spring and summer. One of our favorites around here is the Vidalia onion. Vidalias are the original sweet onion and they are absolutely the best. And no, of course I am not biased because I live in Georgia!
Vidalia onions may only be grown in Vidalia, Georgia, which is a small town farming area in South Georgia. The unique combination of mild winters, regular rain or irrigation, and low sulfur soil makes a sweet onion—and because Vidalias aren’t grown in a greenhouse and must be grown in that low sulfur soil, they are only available during the spring and summer months.
Vidalias are versatile and can be sliced and grilled or chopped and used fresh in many recipes.
How to Make Fresh Salsa
This fresh salsa recipe is super easy and you can easily mix it up. Just grab some plum tomatoes, some red, green, and yellow bell peppers, and Vidalia onion–throw in some fresh herbs and a little dressing and that’s it! I usually add a jalapeno but that’s totally optional.
I like to keep this Fresh Salsa on hand to use as a quick appetizer or sprinkle on top of chicken or fish, or add to marinara. Depending on how you want to use it, you can add fresh herbs that will coordinate—cilantro if Mexican, basil for Italian, or parsley for just about anything.
You can throw in additional herbs as well. Don’t forget the chips or crackers and dig in!
Are you making this recipe? Tag #SouthernFoodandFun on Instagram. I LOVE to know when someone feeds their family with one of my recipes!
Fresh Salsa Southern Style
- ½ cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 4 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, finely minced (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 shakes Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, (parsley, cilantro, or basil or a combination)
- Juice of one lime
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently. Store in the refrigerator. Will keep for several days.