This pineapple salsa is a vibrant and zesty blend of sweet, tangy, and spicy flavors that will take your taste buds on an island vacation. So whether you’re planning a backyard gathering, a beach picnic, or just looking for a refreshing snack, this pineapple salsa is just the ticket.
We love pineapple salsa for fish or chicken or with a bowl of crispy tortilla chips. The avocado lends a rich creaminess, while the spicy jalapeño pepper balances the sweetness of the pineapple. And you’ll love how easy this recipe is!
When you need something light and refreshing on those hot summer days, we’ve got you covered with this gorgeous, colorful salsa. You can also try our favorite Southern Salsa, which blends fresh summer vegetables and is one of our favorite appetizers.
You can use a whole pineapple or grab some already-cut pineapple from your local grocery store. My local store now has a machine in the produce department that cuts the ripe pineapple right there for you—it is so fresh and delicious this way! But if you want a fun pineapple bowl, you’ll have to cut it at home.
Ingredients and tools needed
Scroll down for printable recipe with full ingredient amounts and detailed instructions.
- Diced Pineapple – fresh pineapple is the best!
- Avocados – use ripe avocadoes and dice them up.
- Red Onion – a little milder than white onion.
- Jalapeno Pepper – dice this small so it blends well.
- Cherry Tomatoes – grape tomatoes are fine too.
- Cilantro – fresh cilantro adds perfect flavor.
- Lemon Juice – a little lemon juice adds a nice acidity and keeps the coloring good.
- Chili Powder – a secret ingredient that brings it all together!
To check out all my kitchen and travel favorites, visit my Amazon Shop.
Substitutions and variations
This recipe is so versatile that there are almost endless variations you could come up with. Here are a few of our suggestions:
- Add green peppers or red bell peppers if you want more crunch.
- For a spicier salsa, substitute a serrano pepper or habanero pepper for the jalapeno. Dice into small pieces.
- For a little less spice, try pickled jalapenos instead of fresh ones.
- In a pinch, you can use canned pineapple, but we don’t recommend it. It’s tough to beat fresh, juicy pineapple!
- Try fresh lime juice instead of lemon juice.
- Add black beans and corn for a protein-packed fresh salsa recipe that can be used as a side salad.
- If you’re not a fan of raw onion, you can use green onions or Vidalia onions, which will be milder.
- You can substitute or add fresh mango, peach, or diced plum to make it more of a fruit salsa.
- The avocado can be omitted.
How to make pineapple salsa
A little chopping is all it takes to put together this easy recipe!
Step 1. Prepare the pineapple.
Cut up the pineapple into small chunks using a sharp knife.
Step 2. Combine chopped ingredients.
In a large bowl, combine pineapple, avocado, red onion, jalapeno, cherry tomato, and cilantro.
Step 3. Add the dressing and seasonings.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over salsa and stir gently. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This homemade salsa has no preservatives other than citrus juice, so it needs to be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. But it probably won’t be around that long!
This fresh pineapple salsa recipe is quick and easy, and you can prep everything in advance if you need to save time. Store the chopped ingredients separately and stir together just before serving for the best results. I would not chop the avocado in advance, though. You may need to drain extra juice from the cut pineapple.
- We love this chunky salsa with almost any protein, especially when tacos are involved!
- You could make a taco charcuterie board, including creamy guacamole, pico de gallo, and your favorite fresh salsa recipes for a perfect Cinco de Mayo party.
- Make a vegetarian burrito bowl with cilantro lime rice topped with black beans and this easy pineapple salsa recipe for the perfect balance of protein and carbs.
- Um, fish tacos, all day, every day. This recipe practically begs to be served on top of tacos!
And please follow us on social media:
- 2½ cups chopped pineapple
- 2 chopped avocados
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- 1 tbsp diced jalapeno
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Combine pineapple, avocados, red onion, jalapeno, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice and chili powder. Pour mixture over salsa.
- Stir to combine then store in the fridge until ready to use.