This may be the easiest and tastiest appetizer ever! My friend Rita put this together a few weeks ago and we devoured them...while she was still working on putting it together! Salty prosciutto...tangy goat cheese...sweet, juicy ripe pears...you see where this is going...amazing! The only thing that would make it better would be to add some peppery arugula, which is just what she did.
You could probably broil or roast these wrapped pears but it's absolutely not necessary. We loved them fresh and cool. This is the perfect snack for a lazy afternoon with a book and a glass of wine. Or a pre-dinner appetizer. Or light dinner with a couple of other small plate foods. You could also use blue cheese or Gorgonzola or feta instead of the goat cheese. Or Brie! And for extra pizzazz you could drizzle a little honey or balsamic reduction on top. Here's a tip for my friends in the Atlanta area: Go to the E. 48th Street Market in Dunwoody. They have the best prosciutto I've ever had. And they have lots of other meats, cheeses, olives, and wines. One of my favorite delis.
Prosciutto with Pears, Arugula, and Goat Cheesesave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- 3 soft, ripe pears
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ½ pound good quality prosciutto, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- Honey or balsamic reduction for drizzling, optional
- Cut pears into quarters and then halve the quarters.
- Sprinkle arugula on a slice of prosciutto and place pear on the arugula, then spread a little goat cheese on the pear.
- Wrap pear with prosciutto--depending on size of pear slices, you may want to cut prosciutto in half.
- Drizzle with honey or balsamic reduction.