A couple of weeks ago we had a bunch of friends over for some Thanksgiving recipe testing. It’s amazing how you can get volunteers when you say, “Will you come eat some pie?” Even bad pie is still good pie. Here’s our friend Barry. He likes wine so we gave him a big glass.
I’m still working on the apple pie, but we pretty much devoured this pumpkin pie. Graham crackers crusts are my favorite. Regular pie crusts are delicious too, but I’ve always been partial to the crunch and flavor of a cracker crust. So for my pumpkin pie I wanted to try something different. I’ve seen gingersnap crusts on various pies, including pumpkin, and it’s a great flavor combination. The pumpkin filling is spicy and not too sweet, and the gingersnap crust marries perfectly with the slight ginger flavor in the filling.
The gingersnap crust is pre-baked to set and then the pumpkin filling is spooned in. The filling takes just minutes to pull together using canned pumpkin, sugar, and a few spices. This pie is easy and so delicious. Try it this year at your Thanksgiving celebration!
Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust
- 30 gingersnaps, crushed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir together gingersnap crumbs and sugar. Stir butter into crumbs until well mixed. Press into bottom and sides of slightly buttered 10-inch pie plate. Bake until set and slightly darkened, about 12 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350.
- Place pumpkin in large bowl and mix on medium for a couple of minutes. Add melted butter and mix well. Add sugars, spices, flour, and maple syrup and mix well.
- Add eggs and mix until combined. Add cream and mix until combined. Stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake until filling is set, about an hour.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.