These cucumber tea sandwiches are simple to make and will lend an old-fashioned elegance to your next party!
Made with cream cheese and thin white bread, cucumber sandwiches are always a crowd pleaser.
There’s something about cucumber tea sandwiches with cream cheese that’s reminiscent of Great Gatsby days, of times when elegance reigned and things were made with a little more time and care than we like to take these days.
Doesn’t that little slice of cucumber on bread seem fancy in its simplicity?
You may also like…
Cucumber and Onion Salad – tangy cucumber salad that’s perfect for summer lunch!
How to Store Cucumber Sandwiches
These cucumber tea sandwiches should be placed in the refrigerator after assembling and until just before serving.
You can make the cream cheese mixture a day or two ahead and slice the cucumbers a day ahead.
I also like to go ahead and cut the bread into rounds or squares and store in a large airtight container.
How to Make Cucumber Sandwiches
Pro Tip: I like to use Pepperidge Farm Very Thin sliced white bread for cucumber tea sandwiches, but you can use any type of bread, even wheat or pumpernickel.
Step 1. Cut slices of thin bread into rounds.
Pro Tip: If you’re in a hurry then just cut off the crusts and cut the bread into squares.
Step 2. Spread a thin layer of butter on the bread followed by a layer of cream cheese mixed with dill.
Step 3. Place a cucumber slice on the bread and put a dollop of cream cheese on top with a sprig of dill—that’s it!
Note: I prefer open-faced cucumber tea sandwiches because I think they are prettier and more elegant than regular sandwiches. But of course you can add a top layer of bread if you prefer, just be sure and spread a little of the cream cheese mixture so it doesn’t get soggy.
So easy and so simple, but these cucumber sandwiches will disappear fast at your next party!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches – Classic and Simple!
- 1 loaf white bread I use thin sliced bread and get 2-3 rounds out of each slice
- 2-3 cucumbers cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1 8- ounce brick cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- Extra dill for garnish
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese until creamy. Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, and chopped dill and blend until creamy and well mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a small cookie or biscuit cutter to cut rounds out of bread or just cut the crusts off and cut into squares.
- Spread softened butter on each round of bread and top with a thin spreading of the cream cheese mixture. Place cucumber slices on top of cream cheese. Top with a dollop of cream cheese. Place in the refrigerator for thirty minutes to an hour before serving. Can be made ahead and left in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Top with a sprig of fresh dill just before serving.
Update Notes: This post was originally published July 1, 2016, and on May 9, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.
More Appetizer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Southern Cheese Straws – crispy homemade cheese straws are easy and a great make ahead party dish!
- Tomato Bruschetta – use your fresh summer tomatoes to make the most savory appetizer.
- Smoked Salmon Dip – smoked salmon and cream cheese with fresh herbs – dump it all in the food processor and it’s SO EASY!
- Caprese Bites – simple grape tomatoes skewered with mozzarella balls and drizzled with balsamic reduction. ??