There’s a window right in front of my desk, and outside that window are the branches of a dogwood tree. Those branches sway with the slightest wind, scratching and tapping the glass and always making me thing there’s a visitor wanting to come in for a cup of tea.
One of those branches already has a few yellow leaves, hinting that fall is just around the corner. Here in Georgia, we get a glimpse maybe in the morning or late evening but mostly it’s still just hot. Very hot. And humid. Very humid. And because I’m not quite ready to let go of summer and traipsing around outside barefoot, today I bring you this peach and blackberry galette.
In the snowy days of February, you can pull it out and anticipate what’s to come. I love the way God designed our world, don’t you? We would become tired and bored of the same season year round. But we know each one gives way to the next, eventually.
Just like the seasons of life.
For me, the season of raising children is mostly done. This coming weekend, on Saturday, September 20, my firstborn (not my eldest because I didn’t birth that one) is getting married. It’s hard to believe the last year has flown by and here we are.
I’m excited and so happy for them. That will be two down and one to go, although that one is only 20 so he better not even consider marriage for a while. I can’t handle another wedding anytime soon!
I would love to know more about my readers and your journey. What season of life are you in? Small children? Grandchildren? No children? Tell us in the comments.
I bet there are kindred spirits sharing the same walk you are on right now.
Peach and Blackberry Galette
- 1 9-inch pie crust homemade or refrigerated
- 2 fresh, ripe peaches
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon Turbinado sugar
- Place parchment paper or silicone baking sheet on a large baking pan. Place pie crust on parchment paper.
- Gently spread pie crust out to a large circle but be careful not to make it too thin. If using refrigerated pie crust press it very slightly larger than the unrolled circle.
- Peel and slice peaches into a medium mixing bowl. Add blackberries, sugars, spices, and vanilla and stir gently. Add cornstarch and mix in.
- Spread peach mixture in the middle of pie crust, leaving a 2-3 inch margin around the edge. Dot the butter over the peaches.
- Fold the edge of the pie crust up and flute each fold. Brush beaten egg over the folds of the pie crust and sprinkle all over with Turbinado sugar.
- Place baking pan with galette in the freezer for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 and remove baking sheet with galette from oven. Place in preheated oven and bake for about one hour, until crust is deep golden.
- Remove galette from oven and allow to set at least 15 minutes before slicing. A good bit of juices will run onto the pan so don't worry about it. The galette will still have plenty of juice.