Homemade Taco Seasoning made with chili powder, onion powder, garlic and other spices is a versatile seasoning mix to have on hand, not just for tacos but for any type of roasted or grilled meat. Try this easy version and get rid of the packet for good!
When you’re ready to make tacos, the last thing you want to do is run to the store because you don’t have any packets of taco seasoning!
I’ve got you covered! This DIY taco seasoning recipe is so easy and you can make it in big batch form so you always have some when you need it. And the great thing is that taco seasoning is not just for tacos!
You may also like…
How to Make Shredded Crockpot Chicken – perfect for your taco night and you can make enough to store extra in the freezer!
Some things you can use taco seasoning on:
- A rub for pulled pork
- Substitute for cajun seasoning on these oven-baked pork chops
- Sprinkle on fish or shrimp and cook under the broiler
- Rub on grilled beer-can chicken
- Sprinkle on vegetables before roasting
Why Make Homemade Taco Seasoning?
Two reasons: homemade is healthier and more economical!
Have you read the ingredients on a packet of commercially-prepared taco seasoning? There’s mono-this and x-this…lots of preservatives, fillers, and artificial ingredients.
When you make your own seasoning, you control the ingredients. You can add less sodium and up the spice or make it milder to suit your family’s tastes. And you can buy the spices in bulk, which makes your homemade taco seasoning mix super economical!
Bonus Tip: This taco seasoning mix makes a great gift for friends! Keep some smaller jars on hand and you have a great last-minute hostess or teacher gift or birthday or Christmas present! These mini-square glass jars are perfect for gifts!
Helpful tools and ingredients:
- Bulk chili powder – I use chili powder for so many things (my Chili Without Beans, of course!) so I like to keep a large container on hand.
- Bulk garlic powder – garlic powder is another staple in the kitchen and enhances the flavor of soups and casseroles all year long
- Mini-square glass jars – fill these with homemade taco seasoning and tie a ribbon around the neck and your gift is ready!
- Large jars – use these to mix and store your seasoning
Ingredients for this recipe:
Want the printable recipe? Just scroll down!
You won’t have to do any chopping for this recipe! Everything is a dried spice so it’s easy and quick to mix together. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Dried oregano
- Chipotle chili powder
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning:
Step 1. Place all ingredients in a container.
Step 2. Stir or shake. THAT’S IT!
Pro Tip: You can just use a large jar to store your taco seasoning in and mix it in the same jar! Super easy and no mess!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on how hot you like it
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teapoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients together with a fork and store in an airtight container.
To Make Taco Meat:
- Brown ground beef, turkey or chicken and drain.
- Place meat back in skillet.
- Use 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Add 3/4 cup of water.
- Stir and simmer until water is absorbed, 8-10 minutes.
For a fun twist, try this Citrus Homemade Taco Seasoning from my friend Lisa over at Snappy Gourmet!
Update Notes: This post was originally published March 7, 2012, and on June 19, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.