Overnight breakfast casserole that you can whip up in about twenty minutes, stick in the fridge, and bake in the morning. This one features sausage and egg, with lots of cheese! It's easy and the perfect make ahead breakfast!
This breakfast casserole recipe is perfect when you're having houseguests because you can put it together 1-2 days before and pop it in the oven while everyone is just waking up.
Add some fruit and coffee and you have a complete meal.
Variations on overnight breakfast casserole
I usually make this as a sausage and egg breakfast casserole, but you can use cooked bacon or ham or you could leave out the meat altogether.
- Swiss cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Challah bread
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Onions and peppers
I like to keep a stack of disposable pans so I always have containers when making something to go or to put in the freezer.
Note - this is a great recipe to make for a new mom or a grieving family. Most people bring dinners and forget about breakfast.
How to make breakfast casserole
Prepare dish and bread.
Lightly spray a 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Remove crusts from bread and cut or tear bread into cubes. Place bread in prepared dish.
Spread meat and cheese.
Top with meat and cheese. I usually grate the cheese myself, as I don't like the cheese that's pre-grated it doesn't melt as smoothly. However, if in a hurry, definitely use the pre-grated cheese!
Prepare egg mixture.
Whisk together eggs, half and half, and seasonings. Add a dash of Worcestershire and a dash of hot sauce. Pour the eggs over the cheese and dot the top with butter. Cover the dish and place in refrigerator overnight.
Bake the breakfast casserole.
Remove the dish from the refrigerator at least half an hour before baking so it comes to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 350° and bake the breakfast casserole until it's puffy and the center is set, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes before you cut into it.
This Overnight Breakfast Casserole goes great with my Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
Overnight Breakfast Casserolesave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- 10 slices white bread
- 1 lb. meat – cooked ground sausage or cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Couple of dashes of Worcestershire (optional)
- Couple of dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Grease 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Remove crusts from bread and cut or tear bread into cubes. Place bread in prepared dish. Top with meat and cheese.
- Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients. Pour over cheese. Dot the top with butter.
- Cover dish and place in refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours. Remove dish from refrigerator at least half an hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350° and bake casserole uncovered until puffy and center is set, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool for just a few minutes before you cut into it.
Update Notes: This Overnight Breakfast Casserole recipe was originally published October 4, 2010, and on August 7, 2020, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.
Looking for a gluten-free option? Try this Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole.