This recipe comes from my friend Mary Ellen who first served it to me when I was at her house watching her work magic on Malorie's wedding invitations. My friend is not only an awesome cook, she is a calligraphy maven! How lucky am I!
She got the recipe many years ago from a friend who called it California Skillet, so that's what we call it. Mary Ellen makes it with ground beef and I used ground chicken. Either way, it is fabulous, easy, and your family will love it.
Start by sautéing green and red pepper with onion and garlic. Then add ground chicken and cook until done. Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, 1 can green chilis, brown or white rice, a little Sriracha sauce, and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover, and cook 20-30 minutes until rice is done and most liquid is absorbed. Top with fresh parsley and grated cheese. You can serve this with roasted vegetables or a simple green salad. I'm including both versions of the recipe below—try them both and enjoy!
California Skilletsave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice or long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Saute peppers, onions, and garlic for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and cook about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add broth, rice, tomatoes, green chilis, Sriracha, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer 20-30 minutes until rice is done and most liquid is absorbed. Serve with grated cheese and parsley sprinkled on top.
©SouthernFoodandFun.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.