Cheeseburger Soup is everything you love in a burger—bacon, beef, cheese, onions, tomatoes, all in a creamy, luscious, EASY soup!
A thick, juicy burger topped with crispy bacon and melted Cheddar cheese? Yes, please!
So how about cheeseburger soup instead of a burger? I combined bacon with ground beef, onions, cheese, and diced tomatoes to create a hot, cheesy burger in a pot.
This soup has everything the perfect cheeseburger has except the bun!
Because if you leave off the bun then a burger is healthy, right? No carbs?
And this Cheeseburger Soup. This soup is amazing and so easy that you can make it after you get home from work. And it’s all made in the same pot!
Just fry up some bacon ’til crispy, then add some onion and ground beef, then a little milk to make it creamy and add some grated cheese.
Toss in a can of diced tomatoes and some beef broth and that’s it. Let the bacon cheeseburger soup simmer for a few minutes until thickened and then serve with cheeseburger toppings like dill pickle, crunchy fried onions, and lettuce.
And trust me on the dill pickles!
But hey, if you’re not into soup (then why are you reading this post ?) you could try this Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole from Karly over at Buns in My Oven. It’s one of our favorite weeknight meals!
Tools for Cheeseburger Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Large Dutch oven – I love my Le Creuset, but for a less expensive option, try this one from Lodge or this one from Amazon Basics
- Soup ladle – everyone needs a nice ladle!
- Pretty soup bowls – I love these basic, white bowls. They are perfect for so many things!
- Freezer containers – I literally use these containers daily, to store leftovers in the fridge and freezer. And to take food to someone’s house so I don’t lose my good storage containers!
You may also like:
Easy Black Bean Soup – nutritious, filling, and super yummy!
Ingredients for Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Ground beef
- Cheddar cheese
- American cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
- Garnishes: crunchy fried onions, chopped dill pickles, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, ketchup, mustard
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Step 1. Line a large bowl with paper towels.
Step 2. In a large Dutch oven, fry six slices of bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the bowl. Drain most of the bacon grease from the pot and add butter.
Step 3. When the butter is melted, add onion and cook until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove to the bowl and add ground beef to the Dutch oven.
Pro Tip: If you want to make the cheeseburger soup healthier, you can use canola oil instead of butter and either ground chicken or ground turkey.
Step 4. Cook beef until browned and remove to the bowl. Drain any excess grease from the pot.
Step 5. Add butter and when melted, whisk in flour. Cook 3-4 minutes until blended then slowly whisk in milk. Cook about 5 minutes then add meat, onions, and bacon back to the pot.
Step 6. Add tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pro Tip: Garnish your cheeseburger soup with crunchy fried onions, grated Cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, dill pickles, ketchup, and mustard.
Tips for Cheeseburger Soup
How to Store Cheeseburger Soup
The soup will keep in the refrigerator for several days. Just place in an airtight container and reheat as needed.
Can you freeze Cheeseburger Soup?
Absolutely! Just allow the soup to cool and then portion into freezer containers like these. The soup will keep up to 6 months.
Pro Tip: You may need to add a little broth if it’s too thick.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, plus extra for garnish
- ½ lb. American cheese, cubed
- 2 cans undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- Have ready a large paper-towel lined bowl.
- In a large Dutch oven, fry six slices of bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in the bowl. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease and add 2 tablespoons butter. When butter is melted, add onion and cook on medium-high until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove to the bowl and add ground beef to the Dutch oven. Cook beef until browned and removed to the bowl. Drain any excess grease from the pot.
- Add 4 tablespoons butter and when melted, whisk in flour. Cook 3-4 minutes until blended then slowly whisk in milk. Cook about 5 minutes then add meat, onions, and bacon back to the pot. Add tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with crunchy fried onions, grated Cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, dill pickles, ketchup, and mustard.
Tips for the Best Cheeseburger Soup:
- You can substitute canola oil instead of butter and chicken or turkey instead of beef.
- To freeze the soup, allow to cool and then place in freezer containers up to 6 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 724 Saturated Fat: 28g Cholesterol: 176mg Sodium: 1545mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 12g Protein: 41g
Update Notes: This post was originally published January 24, 2017, and on January 21, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.