Cheesy Corn Chowder is a rich and creamy soup filled with vegetables, chicken, bacon, and cheese. It’s easy to make and kid-friendly!
Is it cheesy corn chowder to which you add chicken? Or cheesy chicken chowder to which you add corn? And then there’s BACON. Whatever you call it, this soup is a delectable blend of flavors. It’s creamy and hearty but not overly filling, with a little sweetness to add depth to the chicken. A simple tossed salad is all you need to go with this corn chowder.
Cheesy Corn Chowder
I’ve added extra vegetables to this corn chowder, like celery and bell peppers, and then of course, there’s the BACON, which sends this into flavor stratosphere! Throw in some cheese and you have a delicious soup that everyone in the family will love. You can use a rotisserie chicken if you’re pressed for time, or roast or boil some chicken breasts or whole chicken. Seriously, this cheesy corn chowder is flexible—almost any prepared chicken will work!
You can also turn this corn chowder into a make-ahead recipe by chopping the vegetables and chicken on the weekend and then cooking the soup on a weeknight. And unless you’re making soup for a party, you’ll have plenty of leftovers for another meal.
Soups and stews are excellent options for any fall or winter party. You can easily feed a crowd, prepare everything ahead of time, and clean up is easy. This Cheesy Corn Chowder with bacon is a favorite because it’s so easy to make and everyone loves it. Serve this for a happy gathering with satisfied diners.
Cheesy Corn Chowder
Cheesy Corn Chowder is a rich and creamy soup filled with vegetables, chicken, bacon and cheese. It's easy to make and kid-friendly!
- 12 slices bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts unsalted chicken broth
- 6 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 can unsalted creamed corn
- 2 cans chopped green chilis, drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated Vermont sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 6 scallions, chopped
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven until crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
- Add butter to pot and melt on medium-high.
- Add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook and stir one minute.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and stir in chicken, corn, chilis, and cayenne pepper.
Simmer for about 20 minutes then stir in cream and cheese and bacon. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with chopped scallions.
Pin this one!