Cherry Tomato Salad is so easy with just fresh mozzarella balls, fresh basil, and a simple dressing of white balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Pretty to look at and perfect for parties!
Caprese salad is so popular during the height of summer when tomatoes are at their peak. That lovely combination of fresh tomato and creamy mozzarella is so perfect, and if you add a simple green salad you have a great meatless meal.
I like to change it up sometimes and make this caprese salad with cherry tomatoes and a light vinaigrette dressing. The cherry tomatoes are pretty and the whole thing is easier to transport and easier to eat.
Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes
You can use cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes for this recipe. I like using cherry tomatoes because they look nicer when halved and there are so many lovely shades of red and yellow and purple to mix in the cherry tomato mozzarella salad.
If you're trying to grow your own tomatoes, here's a great article to help: Top Secrets on How to Grow the Best Tomatoes. The top two takeaways are lots of sun and good soil.
You may also like...
Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fresh Herbs - easy spread for toasted bread or crackers.
Helpful tools and ingredients:
- Tomato knife - so much easier to slice tomatoes for the cherry tomato salad with this serrated tomato knife!
- Silver tomato server - do you have one of these? I love my tomato server and use it for any kind of tomato dish, not just sliced tomatoes.
- Glass mixing bowls - I use these mixing bowls for so many things! They are perfect for mixing salads that you then want to serve on a platter.
- Salad dressing shaker - I typically use a regular jar for mixing any type of dressing, but if you prefer something more formal, this shaker with citrus squeezer would be ideal.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mozzarella balls
- White balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make cherry tomato mozzarella salad
Step 1. Halve the cherry tomatoes, leaving some whole. In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and salt and pepper. Gently stir.
Step 2. Add the white balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a little salt and pepper to a jar or shaker and mix well until blended.
Step 3. Pour dressing over tomatoes. Stir gently.
Step 4. Using a slotted spoon, scoop tomatoes onto a platter. Drizzle some of the dressing from the bowl over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Step 5. Sprinkle basil leaves over the cherry tomato salad.
This cherry tomato salad is best served the day it's made. If you want to make it ahead, go ahead and halve the tomatoes and make the dressing but keep the tomatoes and dressing separate until ready to serve.
If you've tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 2 lbs. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ½ cups small fresh mozzarella balls
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup White balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place tomatoes and mozzarella balls in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir gently. Pour in dressing (you may not need all the dressing) and stir gently.
- Spread the tomatoes on a platter, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with the basil. Serve immediately.
- Place olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a container with a lid and shake until well blended.
Make Ahead Cherry Tomato Salad:
You can halve the tomatoes and make the dressing the day before you need to use it. Put the salad together just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 10 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g