Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes will make your mornings go from ho-hum to Wow! in just a few minutes! These are the perfect buttermilk pancakes and they are so EASY to make!
What’s the secret to the most amazing homemade buttermilk pancakes? Just a touch of lemon juice, brown sugar, and a little malted milk powder.
These easy buttermilk pancakes are the perfect accompaniment to our breakfast casserole or easy quiche.
- Jumbo pancake griddle – I love having a larger griddle so I can get all the pancakes done quickly!
- Pancake spatula – this makes it so much easier to flip!
- Flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt
- Malted milk powder – key secret ingredient!
- Lemon juice
How to make homemade buttermilk pancakes:
- Mix the dry ingredients first.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the wet ingredients.
- Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry until the batter is lumpy.
- Let batter rest for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the griddle to 375° (when ready, drops of water should sizzle and evaporate.)
- Pour out about a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the top and burst, then gently scoop the pancake with a spatula and turn it over.
- Try not to flop the pancake back on the griddle when flipping, because that will make it deflate somewhat.
- The second side will probably only take about 30 seconds to finish and turn light brown.
- You may need to adjust the griddle temperature as you cook. Sometimes it gets too hot after a bit.
- Freezer friendly: Homemade buttermilk pancakes are a great make ahead freezer meal! Just place them on a baking sheet until frozen, then wrap 2-3 (serving size) in parchment paper or foil and then place in a zipper bag in the freezer.
How to keep pancakes warm
As the pancakes come off the griddle, place on a baking sheet and keep in a warm 200° oven until ready to serve.
Here’s a gluten-free pancake option from Serious Eats.
Join Southern Food and Fun Community group
and Southern Potluck group!
And please follow us on social media:
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients.
- Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until mixed.
- Rub griddle lightly with shortening.
- Heat griddle to 375. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto griddle.
- Flip when bubbles cover the top of the pancake and edges start to set, about 2 minutes.
- Cook on the other side just until lightly browned, maybe 30 seconds to a minute.
- Rub griddle lightly with shortening in between each batch.
Update Notes: This post was originally published June 3, 2013, and on March 2, 2020, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.