Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes will make your mornings go from ho-hum to Wow! in just a few minutes! These are the perfect buttermilk pancakes and they are so EASY to make!
What’s the secret to the most amazing homemade buttermilk pancakes? Just a touch of lemon juice, brown sugar, and a little malted milk powder.
Helpful tools and ingredients
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Jumbo pancake griddle – I love having a larger griddle so I can get all the pancakes done quickly!
- Pancake spatula – this makes it so much easier to flip!
- Flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt
- Malted milk powder – key secret ingredient!
- Lemon juice
How to make homemade buttermilk pancakes:
- Mix the dry ingredients first.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the wet ingredients.
- Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry until the batter is lumpy.
- Let batter rest for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat the griddle to 375° (when ready, drops of water should sizzle and evaporate.)
- Pour out about a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the top and burst, then gently scoop the pancake with a spatula and turn it over.
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Breakfast or Brunch boards and remember to FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
- Try not to flop the pancake back on the griddle when flipping, because that will make it deflate somewhat.
- The second side will probably only take about 30 seconds to finish and turn light brown.
- You may need to adjust the griddle temperature as you cook. Sometimes it gets too hot after a bit.
- Freezer friendly: Homemade buttermilk pancakes are a great make ahead freezer meal! Just place them on a baking sheet until frozen, then wrap 2-3 (serving size) in parchment paper or foil and then place in a zipper bag in the freezer.
How to keep pancakes warm
As the pancakes come off the griddle, place on a baking sheet and keep in a warm 200° oven until ready to serve.
Here’s a gluten-free pancake option from Serious Eats.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients.
- Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until mixed.
- Rub griddle lightly with shortening.
- Heat griddle to 375. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto griddle.
- Flip when bubbles cover the top of the pancake and edges start to set, about 2 minutes.
- Cook on the other side just until lightly browned, maybe 30 seconds to a minute.
- Rub griddle lightly with shortening in between each batch.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Saturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 8g
Update Notes: This post was originally published June 3, 2013, and on March 2, 2020, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.