Do you ever just want to eat a bowl of fresh vegetables? That’s how we felt a couple of weeks ago. We’d had a pretty indulgent weekend with a large wedding shower for Brian and Caroline and a houseful of company. Lots of food, lots of wine, and lots of fun! But, on Monday we were ready for a light and healthy meal.
I pulled what I had from the fridge and threw together this salad and it was awesome. Just what we needed—crunchy, light, full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fiber.
I love farro and it was delicious in this salad, but you could substitute brown rice or any grain. And you could use different vegetables as well.
Can you have salad without arugula? I don’t think so. I tossed the vegetables and farro into a bowl filled with fresh arugula and then sprinkled goat cheese on top.
Farro and Vegetable Salad
- 2 cups cooked farro or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 zucchini sliced into rounds
- 1 yellow squash sliced into rounds
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- kernels from 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon salad dressing (I use the French salad dressing on this site)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Saute the zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, asparagus, and corn for 3-5 minutes or just until starting to soften.
- Remove sautéed vegetables from skillet and place on top of other vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Add room temperature farro or brown rice, chopped herbs, dressing, and lemon juice and mix gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or over a little arugula with goat cheese sprinkled on top.