Easy skillet lasagna without ricotta cheese—just sausage and ground beef, tomatoes, noodles, and three cheeses! This recipe is quick, easy, and kid-friendly!
I'm always trying to come up with recipes that can be made in one pot and are quick and easy. This easy skillet lasagna fits both criteria! I'm sure you've seen skillet lasagna recipes on Pinterest or other blogs and they are all similar.
Mine is a little different because, just like in my regular lasagna recipe, I don't use ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, and I use a primary base of Italian sausage.
How to Make Easy Skillet Lasagna
This recipe is so simple and it's a great recipe to let budding cooks help with. I like to use my deep, non-stick skillet but you could even use an electric skillet.
You just need to be sure you have plenty of room for the sauce. I've tried this recipe in my 10-inch cast iron skillet and it wasn't deep or large enough.
Everything goes into the same skillet, starting with the meats, onion, and garlic. Then you place the broken lasagna noodles on top of the meat—and be sure to use regular noodles, not the no-boil kind. I used those once and ended up with too much liquid in my sauce.
Pour the tomatoes, wine, and a can of water on top of the noodles, then add the herbs and gently mix without disturbing the noodles, then cover the skillet and allow the lasagna to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
Once the noodles are done, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 3 cups of cheese. I use Pecorino Romano, Parmesan, and mozzarella, but you could also use Asiago or any combination that you like.
Sprinkle another cup of cheese on the top and cover until ready to serve.
Easy Skillet Lasagna Without Ricottasave to your free grow.me collection saved to your free grow.me collection!!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 regular lasagna noodles, do not use the no-boil kind, broken into 2-pieces
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 oz. can filled with water
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 ½ cups grated Mozzarella cheese, divided
- In large, deep skillet, brown the sausage, ground beef, and onion over medium heat. When meat is done, add the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Place the noodle pieces on top of the meat and add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, red wine, and water. I use the can from the diced tomatoes for the water. Add the herbs and gently stir, keeping the noodles under the tomatoes.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until noodles are tender.
- Once noodles are done, remove from heat and stir in Pecorino Romano cheese, and 1 cup each of the Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover until ready to serve.
Pin this one!