Apple tarts with orange-almond marmalade using puff pastry--quick and easy! Perfect for a weeknight dessert or even for company.
We stay at our daughter's house quite a bit to spend time with our grandson, so I get a close-up view of what it's like to be young, working parents. Of course, I had a pretty close-up view of that experience when I was young, but it's been many years since I had small children.
One thing that's a struggle for all working families, even those with no kids, is to get dinner on the table. It's so much easier to just pick up something from the drive through or pop in frozen pizza—both of which I've done many times! But it's also possible to get a home cooked meal on the table without too much trouble as long as you plan ahead.
You may also like...
Apple Tarte Tatin - easy upside down French apple tart
One of the best ways to make a quick and easy weeknight meal feel special is to add a dessert like this simple Apple Tarts recipe. These little tarts are so easy to make but they add a touch of elegance to any meal with their little pillows of puff pastry dough topped with apple slices and flavored with orange marmalade.
Simple Apple Tarts:
There's very little work involved in this recipe, which makes it my favorite kind of recipe! The most you have to to is peel the apples—or pears, which make a fine substitute. You'll use thawed puff pastry, cut into squares, mix up a little orange marmalade with a small amount of almond extract, spread that on the puff pastry, top with apple slices, fold, and bake.
See? I told you it was easy!
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (9 3/4-inch square), thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 apples or pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 12 wedges each
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 425.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and combine orange marmalade and almond extract in a separate small bowl.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and pinch the creases together, then smooth with your fingertips. Cut pastry into four equal squares and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush pastry squares with melted butter, then spoon 1 tablespoon orange marmalade mixture on each square. Top with 4 apple wedges in the center of the square, with two leaning away from the center one way and two leaning away from the center the other way. Sprinkle a little of the cinnamon mixture over the apple wedges.
- Repeat with remaining squares. You may not need all the apple wedges.
- Fold the corners of the puff pastry over the apple wedges until the tips are touching and press the dough against the apples. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then serve with vanilla ice cream. (Some juices will leak onto the parchment paper and harden so just break these off before serving.)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 tarts
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g