Baked shrimp scampi with garlic, butter, and fresh herbs is simple and a great make ahead dinner recipe!
When we have folks over for dinner, I like to use recipes that I can make ahead of time so that cooking during the time guests are here is minimal. For that reason, I tend to use dishes that can be baked or roasted.
This shrimp scampi covers everything—it can be made ahead of time and requires only about 10 minutes in the oven just before you are ready to eat—and it is delicious! Lots of garlic and butter with fresh parsley and rosemary give the shrimp great flavor and you have enough sauce in the dish to sop your bread in, which is always important.
You mix up the topping, which consists of mashed butter, herbs, panko bread crumbs, garlic, and lemon zest, and place it on the shrimp. Then you can put the whole thing in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled, deveined, and butterfield with tails intact
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Juice from one lemon
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place shrimp in a large bowl and add olive oil, wine, salt, and pepper. Mix gently and let rest for about half an hour at room temperature.
- Mash butter with remaining ingredients.
- In a shallow gratin dish, arrange shrimp in dish with tail up, starting at the outer edge of dish and working your way to the middle, then pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp.
- Using your fingers, spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. It will be clumpy but that's fine.
- At this point, you can place the shrimp in the refrigerator and remove about 45 minutes before you're ready to eat.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Bake shrimp for about 12 minutes, until top is browned and butter is bubbly. You can broil for a few seconds if you want the top more browned.
- Serve with extra lemon wedges.
Adapted from Baked Shrimp Scampi in Ina Garten's Back to Basics cookbook.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Saturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 441mgSodium: 2200mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g