This Pumpkin Sheet Cake falls into the OMG is this for real category of recipes. It’s moist, easy to make, full of fun fall flavor and fragrant spices, and best of all, topped with the most amazing white chocolate and cream cheese frosting. The cake is made in a half-sheet pan so it’s just right for a dinner party and can be made a day or two ahead.
Forgive me, please, for filling your screen with yet another pumpkin recipe. It seems as soon as there’s even a smidgen of gold on an otherwise green-leafed tree, even though it may still be 90 degrees outside, we food bloggers begin regaling our readers with pumpkin recipes galore.
Because Pumpkin! Fall! Thanksgiving! Christmas!
I don’t mind this pumpkin extravaganza myself. I love pumpkin bread year round, and one of the most-loved desserts on this blog is my pumpkin bread pudding topped with caramel sauce. Then there’s the pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling that’s amazing.
And who can resist pumpkin pie? Mine has a gingerbread crumb crust and is to die for, if I do say so myself. And of course I do, because that’s my job! How would it look if I posted recipes on here and said, “Well, this one is kind of ho-hum, but hey, you should totally try it!” That would be considered a food blogger fail, my friends.
And that is not the case with this recipe for pumpkin sheet cake. Nothing ho-hum here.
How to Make Pumpkin Sheet Cake
My favorite thing about this cake, besides eating it, is that you make it all in one bowl. Mix up the pumpkin, sugars, and liquids in a large bowl, then sift the flour and spices right into the bowl.
The cake only takes about 20 minutes to bake and while it’s baking you can make the frosting. Start by melting white chocolate in the microwave.
Beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed until smooth, then stir in the melted chocolate and add powdered sugar and vanilla. Make sure you wait until the cake is completely cool before frosting it.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 oz. good quality white bar chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray and flour 11 1/2 x 16 1/2-inch baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugars, oil, butter, buttermilk, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice into the pumpkin mixture and fold until combined. Spread batter onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cake until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and allow cake to cool.
- To make frosting, melt white chocolate in a bowl in microwave in thirty-second increments. Stir until smooth. Beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer on high speed until smooth. Add melted white chocolate and beat until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on low speed until smooth and creamy. If frosting is too loose, place in refrigerator for half an hour. Spread frosting on cooled cake and serve.
Recipe adapted from Pumpkin Bars in CuisineAtHome.com magazine.