I’m not sure what makes this a Texas dish, but it sure is good wherever it comes from. Texas Caviar is basically a salsa made with black-eyed peas. And there are probably as many variations as there are Texans! We like it with lots of fresh vegetables like bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, and corn when it’s in season. And when it’s not, just use a can of shoepeg corn. My sister-in-law, Joanne, uses cans of Rotel and water chestnuts. You can add just about anything to this fabulous dip.
The last time I made this, the black-eyed peas that I bought had some hickory smoke flavoring added—David liked it but I did not. It was masked by the other ingredients but I could still taste it and the artificial taste was off-putting to me—so be sure and read the ingredients on your cans before you buy! Texas Caviar is usually served as an appetizer with corn tortilla chips, but we ate it several times for lunch or with arugula for a light supper. It’s healthy, filling, and delicious!
- 2 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (check ingredients to make sure they don't have liquid smoke)
- 1 15-oz. can shoepeg corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 small jar pimentos, drained
- 1 can green chilis, drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley, (or both)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, (may need more to taste)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place ingredients in a jar and shake until well mixed.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients and stir gently but mix well. Stir in vinaigrette and mix well. Keeps in the refrigerator for several days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274 Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 588mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 1g