Vidalia Onion Dip is a simple, creamy, sweet onion dip that mixes up in minutes, bakes for half an hour, and is devoured in seconds!
We first tried this sweet onion dip years ago at a work reception that was held at the home of a lovely older couple, Mr. and Mrs. Chancy, in Florida.
If you can imagine a group of fifty or so people hovering over one small dish—well, that’s how we looked while devouring this Vidalia Onion Dip!
Of course I asked for the recipe and soon after, Mrs. Chancy sent me a nice little note with this recipe.
I’ve tweaked the recipe just slightly by adding a couple of dashes of Worcestershire and hot sauce, and now anytime we are having a party this dip is on the menu, along with my famous Pimento Cheese.
Tools for Onion Dip
I’d be willing to bet that Mrs. Chancy hand-chopped the onions for her Vidalia Onion Dip and grated the cheese on a box grater.
While I have done both of these things, I much prefer to use my kitchen tools whenever I can!
- Food processor – make quick work of chopping onions and grating cheese with this awesome workhorse. I’ve had mine for several years now and I still absolutely love it!
- Shallow baking dish – I like to bake this dip in a shallow dish so it’s easy to scoop up.
You may also like:
Texas Caviar – the best Texas caviar with black-eyed peas and lots of seasonings!
Ingredients for the Onion Dip Recipe
- Vidalia or other sweet onion
- Hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Vidalia Onion Dip
This dip is so easy! You just grate the cheese and chop the onion, then put everything in a large bowl and stir.
Step 1. Finely chop Vidalia or other sweet onion and then place in a wire mesh strainer over a bowl to drain for several minutes.
Step 2. Combine chopped onion, cheese, mayonnaise, a dash of hot sauce, and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and stir until well mixed.
Step 3. Place the onion dip in a small, flat, lightly greased baking dish.
Step 4. Bake dip for 30-40 minutes, or until browning around the edges and slightly bubbly.
Step 5. Then let the onion dip rest for several minutes to absorb the oil from the cheese.
Pro tip: You can blot the excess grease lightly with paper towels.
Vidalia Onion Dip is smooth and creamy and the onion flavor is mild, while the Swiss cheese gives it a slight tang.
Tips for Vidalia Onion Dip
- Serve with buttery crackers or chips and your guests will quickly devour this fabulous, easy dip.
- This onion dip also transports well so it’s great to take to potluck parties and it’s always welcome at tailgating or family gatherings!
Can You Freeze Onion Dip?
I have never frozen this Vidalia Onion Dip, largely because there’s never any dip left over!
If you want to freeze the dip, then just place in a freezer safe container, like one of these deli-style freezer containers, and keep for up to 3 months.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 2 cups finely chopped Vidalia onion
- 2 cups grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together onion, cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour into a small baking dish or pie plate. Bake 30-40 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly browned around the edges.
- Serve with your favorite crackers.
Contributed by Mrs. Chancy, Amelia Island, Florida.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 15 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 109mg Carbohydrates: 1g Protein: 2g
Update Notes: This post was originally published March 31, 2014, and on January 21, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.
Here are some other great party recipes to try:
Creamy Green Herb Dip – excellent dip for crudites!
Pickled Shrimp – marinated shrimp is a great make-ahead party dish!
Honey Garlic Sriracha Wings – these wings are my family’s favorite and a must for any party or gathering.