Oven roasted turkey breast with a maple syrup and cayenne pepper glaze is just right for a smaller gathering or for your weekly turkey sandwiches.
One of my favorite things to cook throughout the year is an oven roasted turkey breast. I like to have the first meal with the turkey right out of the oven, and then enjoy the leftovers for the rest of the week.
You may also like...
How to Roast a Turkey - if you want to cook a whole turkey, this foolproof guide will help you!
Sometimes I'll pick up a regular frozen turkey breast and sometimes I'll grab one of those that comes in a bag and says from freezer to oven—they are so convenient!
This oven roasted turkey breast recipe is so simple and easy that you can make it all year long, not just for your Thanksgiving turkey breast! There's nothing to chop and little effort required—just put the bird in the oven and brush the glaze on before it's done.
Helpful Tools and Ingredients for the Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
👋 Want the printable recipe? Just scroll down!
- stainless steel roasting pan with rack - you'll use this pan for so many things, not just your oven roasted turkey breast! Lasagna, roasting other meats or vegetables, a large mixing bowl - the possibilities are endless!
- turkey serving platter - this one from Spode is a classic
- whole turkey breast, fresh or thawed, patted dry
- olive oil or melted butter
- chicken stock
- maple syrup - you want authentic maple syrup for this recipe, NOT pancake syrup. Actually authentic maple syrup is better on everything, especially pancakes!
- ground cayenne pepper
How to Roast a Turkey Breast
If using the frozen turkey in a bag, follow the instructions on the bag and omit the olive oil or butter. About 30 minutes before turkey is done, brush on the maple syrup-cayenne pepper glaze.
Step 1. If using fresh whole turkey breast, preheat oven to 450. Brush turkey with olive oil or butter and lightly salt and pepper.
Step 2. Place the turkey breast on a rack in a roasting pan and pour chicken stock in the pan. Roast turkey for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Step 3. Turn oven down to 325 and continue to roast turkey breast, basting every 20 minutes, for 1-2 hours, depending on size.
Step 4. About 30 minutes before the turkey breast should be done, stir cayenne pepper into maple syrup and brush all over the turkey breast. Continue roasting until thermometer registers 165.
Finishing Your Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
There are numerous alternative ways to finish this oven roasted turkey breast. I might whip up a batch of my Herb Butter and slather that all over the breast while it's cooking, or maybe use the glaze from my Bourbon-Orange Baked Ham. Sometimes I just brush on a little olive oil or melted butter and call it good.
Leftover Turkey Breast Recipes
Don't forget to plan how to use your turkey leftovers! Some of my favorite leftover turkey breast recipes are my Turkey Hand Pies with Boursin and Cranberry, Pot Pie with Turkey instead of Chicken, and my Easy Chicken Pie with turkey instead of chicken.
You could also try this recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen for Leftover Turkey Jambalaya—looks delicious!
If you've tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 1 6-8 lb. whole turkey breast, fresh or thawed, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup quality maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- If using the frozen turkey in a bag, follow the instructions on the bag and omit the olive oil or butter. About 30 minutes before turkey is done, brush on the maple syrup-cayenne pepper glaze.
- If using fresh turkey breast, preheat oven to 450. Brush turkey with olive oil or butter and lightly salt and pepper. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan and pour chicken stock in the pan. Roast turkey for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Turn oven down to 325 and continue to roast turkey, basting every 20 minutes, for 1-2 hours, depending on size. About 30 minutes before turkey should be done, stir cayenne pepper into maple syrup and brush all over the turkey breast. Continue roasting until thermometer registers 165.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 964mgCarbohydrates: 9gSugar: 8gProtein: 98g
Update Notes: This post was originally published November 9, 2016, and on October 10, 2019, was updated with one or more of the following: step-by-step photos, video, updated recipe, new tips.[cp_popup display="inline" style_id="79730" step_id = "1"][/cp_popup]