Mustard Cream Sauce is a French pan sauce with a white wine and Dijon mustard base–it’s simple, classic, and delicious! Try it with chicken or pork–this sauce makes any dish extra special!
Are you intimidated by French food? Most of it sounds so fancy with long lists of ingredients. And fattening! But this Mustard Cream Sauce with Chicken is super easy.
All you need is one shallot, a little butter and olive oil, white wine, cream, and Dijon mustard. And this classic French pan sauce takes just minutes to prepare.
How to Cook Mustard Cream Sauce with Chicken
First, saute the chicken in a little olive oil and butter until it’s almost cooked through, then remove it to a plate. Add another pat of butter to the skillet then add the minced shallot. Cook the shallot for about a minute then remove pan from heat to pour in the wine. Loosen the yummy bits of chicken that are stuck to the skillet and allow the wine to cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the Dijon mustard and the cream, whisking gently in the skillet to blend. Add a tablespoon of fresh, chopped tarragon and bring the sauce to a boil then turn down to a simmer and place the chicken, along with any juices, back in the skillet. Cook 7-8 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Since this is a heavy sauce, I typically serve with either a simple green salad or some roasted asparagus. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of fresh herbs on top of the chicken and voila—you are a French food cooking genius!
See? It’s easy!
- 4 chicken breasts or cutlets, if using breasts you may want to cut them in half to reduce the thickness
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs: preferably tarragon but parsley will do
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil and one tablespoon butter on medium high in a large, flat, heavy skillet that is not non-stick. Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes per side until browned. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to skillet. Add shallot and cook for one minute. Remove skillet from heat and pour in wine.
- Place skillet back on heat and stir wine gently, scraping up the bits of chicken from the bottom of the skillet. Whisk in mustard and cream, along with a little salt and pepper. Stir in one tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Place chicken, along with any juices, back in the skillet. Cook until chicken is cooked all the way through. Sprinkle remaining fresh herbs on top of chicken and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Saturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 26g