Chicken and vegetable soup is filled with shredded chicken, butterbeans, corn, tomatoes, okra and onion—all frozen which means no chopping! Healthy, quick, and easy!
This chicken and vegetable soup is our new go-to for the winter. Well, in addition to Homemade Tomato Soup and White Chicken Chili. And easy Classic Chili. Okay, we have a lot of go-to soups throughout the cold season! But back to this homemade chicken vegetable soup. I use frozen vegetables, with the exception of the onion, carrots, and canned tomatoes, so you really just dump everything into the pot and let it cook. You could even make this in the slow-cooker!
I wanted a hearty homemade chicken vegetable soup that was healthy and filling, so I included lots of vegetables. You can add vegetables in almost any combination—you could add potatoes or zucchini or leave out any of the ones I included if you don’t like those. This soup is so versatile!
Do you make New Year’s resolutions? I always do but I like to change it up every year so I’m not failing at the same old resolutions. So this year, instead of having a goal of losing weight my goal is just to be healthier—eat healthier and move more. I’m planning to have lots of healthy Southern-style recipes to share with you while still posting some of the old-fashioned Southern goodies that we all remember and love. Because, as Giada says, “You can eat anything you want, you just can’t eat all of it!” That’s a pretty good mantra to live by.
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
This chicken and vegetable soup is one of our favorite healthy recipes and I love that you can change it up so it doesn’t seem like the same soup every week. You could even make it with lean ground beef or ground chicken or turkey. Or no meat at all! Vegetarian vegetable soup! Also, when I made this soup I used pre-chopped onions and carrots—you can totally cheat and not have to chop a single thing! Just be sure you make some homemade cornbread to go with your soup.
- 1 whole chicken OR 4 cups shredded chicken OR 1 1/2 lbs. cooked ground chicken or lean beef
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 thyme stalks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes try to use the unsalted version
- 3 cups frozen okra
- 3 cups frozen butterbeans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh sliced carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place whole chicken in large stockpot and cover with water. Pour in chicken stock. Add 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks and thyme, a little salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cook at a hard simmer for about an hour, until chicken is done and tender. Remove chicken from pot and discard the carrots, celery, and thyme stalks.
- While chicken is cooling, add all of the vegetables to the pot along with salt and pepper.
- Shred chicken and add to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to hard simmer for an hour, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste.