Classic chili with beans, ground beef, onions, and tomatoes. This is simple and basic, the perfect easy chili to put on the table on a busy weeknight!
I love chili of all different kinds. I like the Man Chili that my family prefers, but I also like chili with beans. And vegetarian chili. And chicken chili. And Wendy’s chili. And my Mama’s chili.
What I don’t particularly care for are kidney beans, so I like to make this chili with Campbell’s Pork n’ Beans. I prefer Campbell’s because they have a light tomato sauce instead of the watery liquid that usually accompanies pork n’ beans. You don’t even need to drain these beans, just dump the can right into the pot.
This recipe is about as basic as it gets: meat, onion, pepper, tomatoes, and beans. And it’s easy to make—the whole pot comes together in about an hour. You can make it as spicy as you want or make it a little more kid-friendly.
You could also cook this chili in the crock pot and have it ready when you get home. It’s simple, versatile, and great for the whole family. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate the recipe and leave me a comment below!
You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
And please join the Southern Food and Fun Facebook group to get all the Southern Food and Fun recipes.
- 1 lb. ground round beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cans water, from the tomato paste
- 1 19 1/2-oz. can Campbell's pork and beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, add more if needed
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, add more if needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the ground round. When meat is nearly done, add olive oil and allow to heat. Add onion and green peppers to meat. Stir and cook about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Stir to mix well and add chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add beans. Stir and cook about 45 minutes on medium-low, stirring frequently.
- Serve with grated cheese, chopped onions, frito chips, sour cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 115mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 23g