Funfetti CakeThis recipe for homemade funfetti cake makes just enough for two 9-inch layers or one sheet cake. I use my Homemade Buttercream Frosting Recipe but the cake would also be great with the Cream Cheese Frosting from my Red Velvet Cake.
What do you need for this sprinkle cake?
- Sprinkles - If you're going to be baking with sprinkles then buy them in large quantities since it's much less expensive than buying multiple small containers from the grocery store. And if kids are helping you, you'll go through A LOT of sprinkles!
- Cake pans - I love these cake pans from Fat Daddio. You can pay more at a specialty cooking store, but why?
- Cake stand - this funfetti cake is so pretty, it deserves a lovely display. I adore this aqua-mint color and I'm coveting this stand myself!
Ingredients for Homemade Funfetti CakeThe simplicity of this funfetti cake recipe is what makes it so wonderful. Just like Granny's Chocolate Sheet Cake, this recipe comes together in less than one hour and you only need standard ingredients that you probably have on hand.
- Baking soda
How to Make Funfetti CakeStep 1. Start by generously buttering and flouring two 9-inch cake pans.
Pro Tip: You can certainly use a hand mixer here, but usually the boiling butter/water mixture is enough to make everything mix up smoothly in just a jiffy.Step 4. Measure the buttermilk in a measuring cup, then whisk the eggs, soda, and vanilla into the measuring cup. Whisk this into the batter and stir until blended and smooth, then gently stir in the flour-coated sprinkles. Step 5. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, checking the cake after about 15 minutes. The funfetti cake is done when your tester comes out clean but be careful not to overcook. Step 6. Remove pans from oven and allow the cake to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Then turn the layers onto parchment covered racks and allow them to cool completely, 30 minutes to an hour. Step 7. Frost the sprinkle cake with Classic Buttercream Frosting or Cream Cheese Frosting.
Pro Tip: You could add a little food coloring to make the frosting a fun color like pink, green, or blue!
Tips - How to Put Sprinkles on the Side of a CakeOnce your funfetti cake has frosting on it, just lightly press some sprinkles onto the frosting. Kids love to do this! It doesn't have to be perfect, just fun and colorful. Here's a fun guide to a Sprinkles Birthday Party where you could showcase this fun sprinkle cake!
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sprinkles, plus more for the top
Classic Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, barely softened
- 3 ¾ cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract, imitation
- Pinch salt
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream, you can use half-and-half or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Stir one tablespoon of flour into the ½ cup of sprinkles to coat them then set aside. Sift remaining flour and salt into large bowl. Add sugar and whisk until blended.
- Combine butter and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over the flour and sugar, whisking until blended. Add the soda, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk until blended and smooth. Gently stir in the coated ½ cup of sprinkles.
- Pour batter into greased and floured baking pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking cake after about 15. Cake is done when tester comes out clean but be careful not to overcook.
- Remove pans from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn layers onto parchment covered racks to cool completely.
- Frost with Classic Buttercream Frosting or Cream Cheese Frosting.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
- In bowl of stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, cream butter until light and fluffy about 4 minutes. Add confectioner's sugar, a little at a time (about ½ cup), mixing on low until blended and then whipping on high for about 30 seconds each time. Add vanilla and pinch of salt and mix until blended. Add cream and mix on low until blended then whip on high until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- For softer frosting, you can add a little more cream. If you get it too soft just add a little more confectioner's sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 10 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Saturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 67gSugar: 48gProtein: 4g