Easy Grilled Eggplant Salad with tomatoes, fresh herbs and garlic, lemon zest and green onions. This eggplant salad is a great side dish for your favorite grilled meats!
Do you ever pick up those recipe cards at the grocery store? You know the ones I mean, supposedly simple and delicious recipes that sometimes turn out to be duds? Well, today I bring you a non-dud salad recipe inspired by a Publix Aprons meal card.
When summer rolls in, she brings an abundance of fresh vegetables and just as we love oven-roasted vegetables in the winter, we love grilled vegetables in the summer. One of my favorites is grilled eggplant, which is delightful when paired with fresh tomatoes, green onions, and herbs.
Eggplant may look like it’s difficult to deal with but it is really not. You don’t even have to peel it, though most of the time I prefer to remove the peeling. The seeds are tender and edible so you don’t have to seed it and for this recipe, all you do is slice it.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 large tomatoes, 5 plum tomatoes, or a pint of grape tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 teaspoons good quality Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Spread eggplant slices on paper towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle eggplant with kosher salt and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Allow eggplant to sit for about 20 minutes to let some of the moisture seep out.
- Preheat grill. Place eggplant slices on grill and grill about 4 minutes per side, until tender and slightly browning.
- Combine tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients (except eggplant) in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- You can chop the grilled eggplant and mix it into the tomato mixture, or you can place the grilled eggplant slices directly on plates and spoon the tomato mixture on top.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over each serving of eggplant salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 22 Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 153mg Carbohydrates: 2g Protein: 1g